Keeping Carpets Clean in Summer
Summer is the Worst Time of Year for Your Floors
While summertime is usually your kids’ favorite time of year, it’s usually not your floors’ favorite time of year. Summer means kids coming into the house with all kinds of soiled hands and feet. It also means barbecues, with family and friends tracking their messes inside. Between the mud and the mustard, it can be tough to keep carpets and floors clean.
Keep Your Carpets Looking Fresh
In between professional cleanings, which help keep allergens at bay and get rid of spots and stains, here are a few ideas to keep carpets looking fresh.
- Shoes off indoors! This is the rule in some homes year-round, but it should be the rule in every home during the rainy seasons and summer. Have an outdoor mat, and perhaps an indoor one, too, where shoes can be wiped before taking them off. If shoes are often left by the door, have a basket or a plastic mat nearby where they can be stored more neatly.
- Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Make sure to do carpets at least once a week, and more often after having guests. This will not only keep the carpet cleaner, but will also help it to last longer. To help carpets smell fresher, you can also sprinkle baking soda before vacuuming.
- Carpet sealing. This procedure, which can be done by professional carpet cleaners, is designed to protect the carpet and prevent stains from setting in and becoming permanent. Wine, pet accidents, and other stains are more easily removed from a sealed carpet. Sealing can also prevent the harmful chemicals which are used in carpet backing from getting into the air of your home.
- Spot and stain removal. Most professional carpet cleaners recommend that carpets be cleaned twice a year, and spot cleaned in between. Different types of stains require different treatment, and different types of carpet can require different types of stain removal products, so be sure to treat each stain appropriately, and get professional help when needed.
- Move messy activities outside. For families with kids, it’s probably already a rule that mudpies, homemade flubber, and all kinds of colorful liquidy concoctions must stay in the yard. Now apply the same rule to adult activities like accidently shaking an open ketchup bottle or tipping over a glass of wine (everything tastes better on the patio, anyway), and you’re on your way to a cleaner carpet.
Make Your Carpets New Again
Usually, the simplest things are the most effective things for preventing messes. And then, at the end of the summer, be sure to call Royal Carpet Cleaning to get your entire floor feeling like new again.